Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Editing Troubles

Hello all. Last year for NaNoWriMo, I wrote my novel around the time period of 14th century Ireland. Now, putting aside all rules was very fun and all, but now I need it to be historically accurate. I changed my main female character's name four times now! (SCRATCH THAT: I've found out that it's five times now. Oy vey). I know where the story is situated around, but I just don't understand how other authors manage to make their novels sound so...good! Ach! Here are things I need help with, if anyone reads this and knows a few good tips. However, if not, this is just for my own personal reasons.

1. Dialogue/Dialect.
2. Setting (More specifically, what the homes looked like inside & out, and what was found inside them).
3. Misc. (Like utensils, how they got their water; things like this).

I might be able to visit Ireland next year, if my father allows (since he's away in Africa, he gets two weeks off for vacation every three months or so. He said we were to spend them in Europe...so maybe we'll go to Ireland. To get really specific: Co. Sligo and the surrounding area. That's where the location of my book is).

Also, for some peculiar reason, I cannot describe my characters eating. I mean, this is a crucial part of story-telling, is it not? They have to eat something! Aagh, I think I could just go right through and write a horribly botched version. But it's awkward! Why is it so awkward? :(

5 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

If it makes you feel better, Agent Extraordinaire Donald Maass calls 'teatime' a killer in manuscripts he reads. Once I'd read that comment of his, I thought--wow, he has a point. Whenever I've read a book since then, I find he's right: 99% fictional characters don't eat, sleep or poop. (or at least, it's not described in detail.) Ever.

For other research, it would depend somewhat on what part of the country and what level of society you're portraying. I'd try the local librarians of course, plus if you haven't found it yet, check out Queens University's website on Life in Medieval Ireland : http://www.ccbl.qub.ac.uk/exemplars/msc/mli1/map.htm

You may also get some good help locally by finding (or even joining) a living history re-enactment group. If you can't find one, get yourself to a local Celtic Festival and you might find some there. They're enthusiasts, so don't be shy about approaching them; some of my best memories were made around time-travelling campfires.

I wish I could help you more; most of my writing is about 1000 years earlier however.

County Sligo, excellent: you can go surfing you know (if you like surfing in the extreme NORTH Atlantic, imagine the lunacy of that...but you can)

Susan at Stony River said...

Argh, the link should be Medieval Life in Ireland.

Sorry about that.

Chloé said...

I shudder to think of describing my characters using the bathroom - in detail or not! I have to agree with you though, all the books I've read so far doesn't have very many descriptions of any of the things you've listed. Though I have a question: should I strive for more detail in these things; eating and sleeping? I just can't touch on the bathroom thing. At least, not the 'bodily functions' part of it. Maybe I'll mention a chamber pot or something. :D

Thank you for the link! I hadn't found it yet, but it's more information, and that's really good. I doubt my library will have anything on Medieval Ireland, but I'll have a look anyway.

I never thought of searching for re-enactments before, but that makes a lot of sense (a friend of mine is into re-enactments, and while not the era I'm looking for, she does say that historical accuracy is crucial). Also, the Renaissance Festival is coming to my state, and they have a Highland/Celtic weekend. Oh, this is such a grand idea!

Thank you so much, Susan. You've no idea how much it helps.

Susan at Stony River said...

Local libraries have to concentrate their budgets on what serves the majority of their town (jobhunting, cookbooks, Danielle Steel etc) but they also have access to Interlibrary Loan, which connects them to big universities and state libraries. It might cost you a small processing fee and a few weeks' wait, but for the right book, it's worth it.

So, look on Amazon for just the right books you'd like, then print out the information page (or at least jot down the title, author, and ISBN number).

As I just reminded my kids: it's also a great time to be making a wishlist, before the Christmas rush!

Good luck hunting! and writing!

Nishant said...

For other research, it would depend somewhat on what part of the country and what level of society you're portraying.

Work From Home